Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Friday, September 23, 2011

Even in my town?

Some of my friends look at me when I tell them that I wait for my children at the bus stop.  I live on an extremely busy street around a bend and I in fact fear for my own safety every time I get the mail. The other issue is that I feel that we live in a world that is no longer the safest place for our children. One does not have to do anything but pick up the paper to find predators who lurk in the most beautiful of suburbs.

Yesterday I read about a man who was running around naked at 5:30 am on a lovely street in my quiet and affluent suburban town. He jumped out of the bushes and startled the newspaper carrier as he made inappropriate gestures and screamed profanities at her.

http://www.ctpost.com/policereports/article/Naked-man-startles-woman-delivering-newspapers-in-2181774.php

Charming- welcome to Pleasantville.
This behavior happens in every town and in every city. Predators exist in every level of society regardless of socioeconomic and racial background.


I had to attend a Vertis training at the Church the other night as Im teaching Religious Education this year.  I wasn't sure what to expect but it was not the  three plus hours I spent watching a movie about sexual molesters and their victims. The lecture was given by a police detective from New Canaan and is required of anyone who works at the church- anyone who is affiliated in any manner from teachers to the candy vendor suppliers. It is an awareness for all of us to be vigilant about children who may be in danger of abuse. It was disturbing to me on several different levels.

These people live among us, they have access to our children and they come in all shapes and sizes and all degrees of intelligence. Are they more prevalent today or are we just more aware of them as a result of the media. I don't have the answer- I only know that I don't trust everyone and Im happy to stop whatever Im doing to put my children on the bus and take them off daily- myself. Yes, it means sitting at the bus-stop four times a day and shortens my day significantly.

To many people, I seem overprotective but if we aren't over protective of our own children I wonder exactly who is supposed to be. xo


No comments: