Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Sexy Life… Location Location Location


“The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they all see the past better than  it was, the present worse than it is and the future less resolved than it will be.” Marcel Pagno
I found this quote to be wonderful as there is such truth to it. 
Why can’t we all just be in the moment, relish all that is flowing beautifully and take each day for what it is. My son always tells me that without challenges, success is impossible. I often laugh as he throws my own advice back in my face. It seems to sound much clearer when it comes from him.
 The truth is that life can present hurdles for each of us. I certainly never dreamed that I would be a single parent and Im not quite sure I ever imagined living on so many acres complete with a well. Who knew I would have to maintain a well, the thought of it actually makes me laugh.
 Having lived such a vibrant city life, this would be more of a challenge and weight on my marriage then anything. I looked toward him for stimulation, thus my divorce. 
 My ex-husband enjoyed the solitude of living away from a neighborhood. His job was stimulating enough and truth be told, he was jealous. I think there was satisfaction knowing that I would be living in isolation. I laugh as when we lived in the city, if a handsome man walked by, he immediately asked if I had dated him. I lived in Boston for fifteen years, and I m friendly. It is the easier place in the world to meet people and get involved in the community. Needless to say, I knew a lot of people and a lot of people knew me. I loved every minute of it.
I wonder if other women feel the way that I do.
 I love being a mom yet living in an isolated area is absolutely my greatest challenge. I certainly get out quite a bit and Im extremely productive, but being surrounded by woods does not add comfort to my life.  
I need to see people and feel connected and it’s impossible when your neighbors are five acres away. I am grateful that I can hop on a train and be in New York City in little over an hour. I take full advantage of the proximity of the city but nothing compares to living to living in one.
 I like noise, I like stores and bright lights and lots of people watching. It gives me energy to be in an environment that is so alive and the possibilities seem endless.
 However, this time is not simply all about me, it is about the happiness and success of my children alas…. I  shall remain in the forest
All dressed up and living in the woods.. not bad for a book title. Thank god for all of my friends - we all like to meet up a few times a week or I would really have issues. I love all of them, they fulfill my life is many ways. Together we share the pleasures, difficulties and so much laugher which is incredibly delightful for my soul.
Perhaps one day I will embrace living in such a quiet area, like when Im approaching 98 if I should be so lucky. 
 I am however grateful for all that I have and know that I have truly been blessed. We have to appreciate the gifts that are sitting in front of us instead of looking under someone else’s tree. No one is without challenges, losses and hurdles that must be overcome.
So in truth the past was not better, today was excellent and tomorrow will in fact be whatever I make it. The fact that I will be snowed in and my flight to Florida will be cancelled may make that a challenge, or should I say another opportunity for me to make Lemons out of Lemonade. xo

1 comment:

Ellen Tartaglione said...

Nicely put, and I can say that since I am your former neighbor in the isolated, wooded, Fairfield county town. I moved due to my divorce, but wasn't unhappy about the move since I never warmed up to life with kids but no neighborhood. I often wondered if they missed out on being able to walk to their friends house, and play with the neighborhood kids like I did. However, I did meet some amazing girlfriends in this town, (many of whom I still play bunco with once a month), and both of my boys have turned out just fine--so what is meant to be is meant to be. I'll never look back and question any of our choices, BUT, I wouldn't trade my condo on the water for a house in woods any time soon. :)