Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Resolutions-

I know that none of you will enjoy this reminder- - how many of you have kept up with all of the resolutions that you promised yourself only four months ago. Those promises for self improvement as we welcome in the New Year. I was thinking of this as I woke up this morning without the exercise routine I was committed to just a few weeks ago. What happened.. I was so determined!

I think there should be a new day on the calendar. It should be called New Year’s Resolution’s Revisited and I think it should fall right before the Spring kicks in. 
It could be yet another Hallmark Holiday. Wouldn’t it be nice to get a card that reads- Greetings -how is your diet coming along or hey- are you still with that annoying girlfriend who is not treating you well.. just checking. Actually, that might be in fact a prescription for friendships to end so be careful with your words.
None of us want to be reminded of all the things that we say we are going to change yet do not.  The desire is there but fortitude to follow through is perhaps lacking.  This year, I was going to  make the sincerest effort to stick to all of my resolutions. I was going to write them down on the calendar and pick a day in March to check in to see if my words match my actions. The date passed and I just recalled this idea. I was going to make my children do this as well. Otherwise, it’s all just chatter and what’s the point if the effort isn’t even made to better ourselves.
Unfortunately we pick the hardest things to do. What if a resolution was to be nicer to people or not to gossip or something along those lines. Easy habits that help contribute to a kinder world and much simpler than not spending money or losing thirty pounds. Those things would actually improve the world around us and pass on a wonderful message to our children.
Perhaps if our resolutions were about how we treat others as opposed to us giving something up or attempting some ridiculous new challenge, perhaps then in April we would all be on track.  What if we all helped out an elderly person or smiled at someone we didn’t care for. Kindness and Compassion are two things the world certainly needs more of.  Im definitely capable of those two things and will add them to my list of resolutions. Some I will achieve, some will remain good ideas and others will  fade away all by the end of January.
The New Year gives us all a chance to start over. What we make of it is up to each of us but I still think my March or April  check in in a good idea. I hope thus far your year has been happy, peaceful  and extremely prosperous New Year. Continue to shed the unhealthy things that do not add value to your life, whether it’s people or habits- the time has arrived and we are all capable. xo

No comments: