Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

My First One


My First One

Life in the Forest..
Life in the Forest..

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. … It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.”
—Enid Bagnold
My First Piece of Writing for Suburban Adventure a few years back…..
Anyone who drives by my house in the morning and doesn’t know me must think I am a little bit nutty. My bus stop outfit is typically a strange hodgepodge of half pajama / half last night’s outfit typically topped off with my sparkly 3 inch flip flops in either hot pink, gold or silver with black trim. Yes indeed-  I look like I perhaps wondered off from a mental institution but at least I have a smile on my face.

 I can only imagine the variety of outfits that the bus driver has the pleasure of seeing every morning as Mothers make a mad dash for the bus. If Im really late, I put on my Gucci hat, sunglasses and red lip gloss.. makes for a perfect in hiding outfit and yet in this town- it's hard to hide. Everyone knows who is who and what they are driving on any given day. The stickers, the ski racks and the golden retrievers leave no one undetected.

I relocated here when my ex husband was transferred to New York City. The day we arrived, it occurred to me that I was living on 3 too many acres. I had moved to what I now refer to as "the forest".
How in the world did a city girl that likes glamour, culture and action end up living alone with 2 kids and a cat on almost 5 acres.
Yes, indeed it is a beautiful, charming and a gorgeous place to raise a family, but where did my former life go… the starbucks and cute stores on every corner.. the friendly passerby's, and the local businessman who I passed by every day on my way to work.

 My places, oh how I miss my places…. Sonsie- Newbury Street- The Bristol Lounge at the Four Seasons, Copley Plaza and Grill 23.  I know they miss me too as over the years we became good friends. It was easy to integrate into the city of Boston, you could live in it and have it in the palm of your hand. I knew everyone and I loved it.

I however have  no desire to leave Fairfield County for more than one reason, however there has to be a happy medium. I never dreamed that I would be capable of naming a chipmunk that lives near my house, and he even follows me half way up my driveway-when I make a friendly call to him- perhaps he is attracted to my sparkly flip flops. 
That scared me a little- I am one with nature as long as it’s at the end of my driveway. 

Along with him I have a variety of other creatures to include black snakes, fox, deer and a family of four groundhogs that live under my shed. I feed them all as I like to help my furry and not so furry friends.

Clearly I live in Wild Kingdom, good thing I like a nice animal print. I tend to morph into the environment around me, never in a subtle manner. 

In the meantime my ex husband enjoyed the excitement of working in New York City. His day was filled with interviewing celebrities and discussing current events.  He was a morning personality so he left the house by four am Monday thru Friday.
 His bedtime was between 7:30 – 8:00 pm- mine was between 12:30- 1:15 am- thus the beginning of the end or should I say the beginning of another adventure.

He is now living in a suburb of Massachusetts, and still a morning show personality.  I have decided to remain in the forest with my kids and cat. It sounds like I just might be living my worst nightmare but thankfully it is has turned out beautifully. I have enjoyed the challenge and have managed to raise very intelligent, sweet, well adjusted happy kids- so far so good.
 I have learned more about water filtration systems, wells, septic systems, Optimum cable, mulch, roofing topics, garage doors, water leaks, and much more. 
 I have planted over 100 plants and trees on my property and have picked up dead mice and bats in my basement and driveway. Delightful

I will admit that I did it all in my sparkly flip flops and urban decay lipgloss. It's the best a city girl can do given the fact that she used to have a door man and a garbage shoot. Ah.. Green Acres is the Place for me- for now- xo

No comments: