Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Friday, February 21, 2014

In The Moment



“If you want to test your memory, try to recall what you were worrying about one year ago today.”
 E. Joseph Cossman
There are some days that we just cruise through. We happily accept the day for what it is and we are happy, contented because we are able to stay in the moment. Then there are the other days in which our worries and concerns take over our ability to simply just be. I have had those days on occasion and in fact recall one that I had a few weeks ago.
I not able to stay in the moment, I was projecting out ten years, fifteen years and it was completely unnecessary. I was worrying about my children, myself and where we would all be at that point in time. It was, a complete waste of my internal energy.
 Why are some days just simpler to digest than others.
Prior to my father being diagnosed with terminal cancer, I seldom worried about anything. Life was incredibly good and everything flowed very nicely. I certainly owe that to a very blessed childhood that was chock full of wonderful experiences and love.
 On that day when my father shared the tragic news with me, it truly changed my life. I had to learn to manage the challenge and fear that would accompany the situation. It truly changed me and was a huge turning point in my maturity as a woman.
 I have learned along the way how to process stress and have come to understand that our lives are unpredictable. We simply can not ever know what the future will hold for us. Yes, we can and should plan, but there will always be an aspect of life that we did not consider, or an illness that we never imagined or something, but it is something in which we didn't anticipate.
 I had such a solid and steady upbringing with that it  was a learned skill that I had to master.
 None of these topics add value to my life and can diminish one’s attitude toward society. I look for inspiration in people that are successful and love to surround myself with positive and upbeat people.  Some days are better than others. I think it is important to recognize when we are headed into a slump. Pay homage to your feelings but take control of them as well.

Tomorrow will take care of itself and as long as you are doing the best that you can possibly do, fear should not enter your soul. This is easier said than done but like everything, it becomes a practice. It is a practice that is well worth the investment.


Enjoy today for all it’s gifts and goodness.  
The positive is all around, it's just up to you to open your eyes and acknowledge it. xo


No comments: