Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It's Time To Forgive

Five years later and my ex-husband is being very friendly to me. He is always cordial but this feels different, he is asking about me and not just the children.  It's very nice and for the first time, there may be a possibility of a friendship.  Perhaps he is healing from the hurt that I caused him by not moving to California or more importantly he has learned to forgive me. I think forgiveness can be extremely challenging but it certainly is an essential life skill.

"Please forgive me I know not what I do, please forgive me Im so in love with you."
Thank you Bryan Adams for the beautiful song and even more so, the meaningful message.

 To forgive someone is to free your own self of negative feelings, anger, hurt and resentment. Forgiveness does not mean that you are not feeling resentful or denying your disappointment.  It is about moving forward not without memory but without the weighing down of hurt and upset.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/forgiveness/MH00131


I have been known to be a very forgiving person. At times I reflect upon this and wonder if this aspect of my personality leaves me more vulnerable than others. Do people take advantage of this facet of my being and simply assume that I will always get over it, whatever the it happens to be.  Perhaps some do but the beauty of this is that I hold the keys to my own kingdom.  I never forget when someone wrongs me or lies to me. It is forever ingrained in my soul but I have the ability to move forward and make progress. People are human and they make mistakes, I am no different.

We have all been hurt, whether it is by our parents, our lovers, our spouses, our children, it is inevitable. If you risk being loved and opening up yourself up to others, than you take a risk that you will get hurt. There is no way around it and it is essential in a successful relationship.  Time perhaps heals all wounds but they would heal faster with a more pro-active approach.

 This Holiday season give yourself one of the best gifts possible- forgive someone and watch how much you will receive in return. xo

No comments: