Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Play That Sexy Music

"Music and Rhythm find their way into the places of the soul"- Plato

This morning after I drove Christopher to school, I found  myself sitting in my car listening to Lovesong by Adele. I love her music, I find it intensely beautiful, meaningful and delightful.
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/adele/lovesong.html

Lovesong is about falling in love and feeling the wonderful feeling that someone can bring to you. My children nonetheless are tired of hearing it but it has captured my soul as Plato suggested it would.



Music always takes me back to the defining moments of my life. I can remember listening to The Who with my eighth grade boyfriend. He used to write me the lyrics to some of the songs. It was the first time that anyone used the lyrics of a song to express their love to me. Thankfully it wouldn't be the last time. I married a Morning D.J. so you can imagine that music was part of the wooing process. We lived in the same high-rise building in Boston and I can remember going to my car one day and there was a CD tucked underneath my windshield wiper. We had gone out on just a few dates but the song on it was by Sade. I miss you like the deserts miss the rain. I remember playing it on the way to work thinking that this guy was dreamy. It worked and it worked well so needless to say it was just the beginning.

One of my former boyfriends owned a nightclub so I can vividly recall the loud thumping of Technotronic. I still love that hard beat of Pump up the Jam- my friends of my era.. you know what Im talking about!
Pump It Up…www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI and Im quite sure that my friend Rachael will never forget the nights at The Mercury Bar dancing to " you gotta kick it before you….. I can't write the rest as it's too much for my prudish hands to type but add L.L Cool J to the mix and it's all pretty bad- in a good way. Of course that's only if you are in a nightclub and Im quite sure those days are well over.

I chose all the music for my father's wake and funeral. I wanted Opera music to be playing at his wake as he was a lover of going to Lincoln Center for the entire Opera season. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0VnDNocncHe loved it and used to make us listen to it as we ventured into Manhattan when we were children. I disliked it as a child but grew to love it as my father did and I enjoyed attending a few operas with him before he died. I hear that music and my eyes well up as I think of the passion that stirred my father. I can't even hear certain songs that were played at his funeral as they are just too sad. How power music is in keeping memories alive and intense.

I love observing my children becoming aware of the beauty of music. Giavanna is my musical child and has been playing the saxophone since she was barely seven. She plays a full size saxophone and it's pretty neat. Her love of music is readily seen and Im quite sure that this would have delighted my father as much as it delights me. Christopher listens to the words of songs as intensely as I do. In search of meaning, insight or perhaps a lesson to be learned. We are very similar in that respect.

Music, it stirs the soul and indeed nourishes our spirit. It is a gift to be able to make it, appreciate it and get lost in it.  It's always playing in our house- from classical to rock to my boy Usher…. it just depends on my mood. I think John Legend might be calling my name this morning. xo

No comments: