Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sex In The Air


q“Sex in the air, I don’t care, I love the smell of it/Sticks and stones may break my bones/But chains and whips excite me.”Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it
        Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it- Sticks and stones may break my bones
But chains and whips excite me



Sticks and stones may break my bones/But chains and whips excite me.”


I love music, from pop to opera and find myself humming songs most minutes of the day. My Bose radio is set to go off at seven am,  there is always music on in the morning in my kitchen. It makes me happy. This morning I woke up to a song by Rihanna and found myself singing it soon after. It didn't occur to me what I was singing until I actually thought about the words that easily flowed from my lips. Insert the above quote….. cause I may be bad.. etcetera.
I realized that I better get another refrain stuck in my head as I clearly do not want my children  giving me a look that would embarrass all of us. This song is played on every station and the fact is, my kids have already listened to the lyrics more than I have. I can't control that which bombards us from all angles of society.
The fact that my kids know the words to this song is  disturbing. The word sexy is thrown around everywhere today. Children learn about sex typically at an extremely tender age. Im not a prude but the bombardment of sexuality in our culture is a little too much for everyone.
They have their entire life to deal with all that comes with exploring sexuality. I think we need to prolong their innocence  as long as possible, nothing good can come out of a premature sexual experience. Im quite sure of that.
I took Christopher to a PG movie last week and all the previews were close ups of some sexual encounter. Our children barely flinch when viewing the sexual messages as they are the norm that are used to.
Many ads for young children are sexual and suggestive. Thongs are now made for girls as young as seven and thus the encouragement to be sexual is apparent in department stores. A sexual encounter at a very young age presents a whole host of undesired issues.
Do we attempt to shelter our children or simply except the world around us. 
Let them see what is out there. I think Im the only parent who did not let their kids watch Glee or Family Guy. As my son matures, Im less with his exposure to things however I do believe there is a fine line.
 It’s a tough balance but Im happy to stay on the conservative side of the fence.  I will certainly never regret that. It’s interesting as my parents were not overly conservative with me and yet Im different with my own children. I feel that I need a tighter rein given the world we live in.
I can’t even turn on the radio without hearing about passion in someone’s pants. I think that is a  sad commentary on the world we live in.However it is not changing anytime soon.
Perhaps I have just turned into a parent who is trying to instill decency and moral value in my children despite the messaging around them.  I wonder if every generation feels this way about the expression of sexuality. Im all for sexy things and enjoying sex but not until you are mature enough to handle all that comes with it.
 A healthy sense of one’s sexuality is fabulous but I hardly think it can exist at such a tender age. xo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well put Michelle, it's unfortunate the discovery of sexuality isn't more innocent like it used to be.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

And how is it any different with violence. I agree about not letting my children see or hear too much sexuality, but I would prefer them to see people loving one another rather than trying to kill or torture each other. Love and sex are more a normal part of life. Just my 2 cents! ;)