Thanks for Reading Suburban Adventure

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Glamorous Life

I thought summer was supposed to be relaxing, no schedule- wasn't that me who just quoting a favorite song of mine "summertime and the living is easy"... was that me or some other crazy Easton mother who thought there would be no schedule.

We are on Day 7 of summer break and I need to check into a Spa and Im not the Spa type. Don't get me wrong, I love a massage and a beauty treatment here and there but I could never ever check into a Spa for relaxation purpose. If I have time to myself, I want action and I could never be in a relaxed state for longer than two hours. In fact, by the time an hour massage is up- I can't wait to get up and go as I feel like Im wasting time and I have a million things to do.

The past few days have been ridiculously busy and have been jam-packed with kids and friends which is wonderful. I have emphasized to both Christopher and Giavanna the importance of cultivating friendships on a one to one basis. I also love seeing the friendships blossom as it is extremely endearing and I know that these connections will be life-long.

Yesterday I actually had a total of five children with me most of the day. I took them to my mom's pool and we all had a great time. We ordered pizza and had ice cream- the kids worked on their tans as they chatted about crushes and i-phones. I love all of my children's friends and feel blessed that they have chosen to surround themselves with bright, happy and kind-hearted people.

All five of them took great delight in watching me tend to the pool and then squealed with laughter as they watched me clean out the gutters. This is not glamorous by any means. I have to stick my entire arm into the gutter and pull out the strainer and there are two strainers- one on each side of the pool. Sounds easy however it is filled with bugs, frogs and anything else that may have been poisoned by chlorine.

Yesterday the daily feature was a large hairless mouse that had been soaking in the water for days. Most of his hair was off and floating around him and he was indeed covered in bugs as a toad jumped on his back. Ewwwwwww I said as I jumped back in my new colorful wedges with cork heel...
In my head, the song Glamorous Life by Sheila E. is spinning around and I can't help but laugh. The lyrics are as follows and I had been singing to myself all day. It's catchy and the words are so funny and it's so 1985. Love that Sheila E....

"She wears a long fur coat of mink even in the summer time. Everyone knows from the coy little wink, the girls got alot on her mind. She's got big thoughts, big dreams and a big brown Mercedes Sedan. What I think this girl, she really wants is to be in love with a man.

She wants to lead the Glamorous life, she don't need a man's touch, she wants to lead the glamorous life without love, it ain't much. She saw him standing in the section marked if you have to ask you can't afford it lingerie. She threw him bread and said make me scream. In the dark what could he say.

Boys with small talk and small minds really don't impress me in bed, She said I need a man's man baby, Diamonds and Furs- love would only conquer my head.
She thought real love was real scary, money only pays the rent. Love is forever that's all your life- Love is heaven sent, it's glamorous.


Needless to say I was completely grossed out as I prepared a faux pair of gloves out of garbage bags. I hastily stuck my hand in and picked up the mouse but he slipped through my hands and I dropped him and screamed. The kids roared with laughter as I ran away from the gutter screaming. I regained my momentum and with great determination I picked up the mouse and the frog and all the bugs and disposed of them. If anyone ever ever calls me jappy they better be prepared to tussle.

Again, I am often judged by my cover- no one would ever imagine me doing half the things that I tend to and the annoying/humorous aspect of this is they often don't believe me when I tell them. I guess if you like to look nice - your'e not supposed to get your hands dirty. I get my hands dirty, I just don't look like I do....

I thought that all of my ruined sundresses sprinked with chlorine spots were bad and now I have to deal with rotting mice. Very unappealing yet a girl do what she gots to do.... Mission was accomplished very quickly and the hysterics ended. I retreated to my loungechair with my Nancy Friday book- The Power of Beauty- and was happy to wrap up that pool session. Oh and brother Anthony, if you ever tell me I don't pay enough attention to Moms's pool- I will send you a wet mouse in the mail..Just kidding- maybe...

So am I leading the Glamorous life- sometimes yes and sometimes no... the important thing is that I find humor and enjoyment in the chores of life. I truly am delighted spending time with my children, laughing with them and their friends and know that all of these silly adventures will be the imprinted memories of my children's summer. Laughter, friendships, sunshine, no schedule and a little Sheila E.. What's better than that. xo
"She wants to lead the Glamorous life"....

No comments: